COVID-19 (Coronavirus) information

Medicaid Information

If you lose your Culinary health insurance, you may be able to get health insurance through Medicaid. Medicaid is a program that lets you to apply for health insurance that is paid for by the government, and administered by the State in which you live.

Medicaid is available for families and individuals who need health insurance and meet all factors of eligibility criteria.

What Medicaid covers

Medicaid can cover some or all of the cost of:

  • Doctors visits
  • Hospital visits
  • Specialist visits
  • Lab work
  • X-rays
  • Prescriptions
  • Dental care
  • Eye exams

This is not a complete list. The exact services covered will depend on which Medicaid plan you choose.

Follow this link to see how Medicaid plans compare.

Applying for Medicaid

You can apply for Medicaid before you lose your health insurance. If you qualify for Medicaid, you can apply ahead of time. Medicaid will be your secondary insurance until your primary (Culinary) insurance ends.

Even if you think that you don't qualify for Medicaid, you may want to apply anyway. If you have children in your household, someone is pregnant, or someone has special needs, they may qualify.

Be ready before you apply for Medicaid. Having your documents before you apply can speed up the process.

Your caseworker may be able to assist if you do not have all of the documentation.


Your citizenship will need to be verified before you can be approved for Medicaid. If the caseworker cannot verify your citizenship you may be asked to provide the following:

This is not a complete list; it is only the most common choices. You will be informed about other options when you apply.


Since Medicaid is administered by the states, you must be a resident and intend to continue living in Nevada to be approved for Medicaid in Nevada.

Financial information

You will need information about your employment and financial situation. Some documents you may need include:

  • Pay stubs
  • Verification from your former employer that your job ended
  • Information about any unemployment benefits you receive
  • Information about any veterans benefits you receive
  • Information about child support or alimony payments
  • Receipts for education expenses
  • Bank statements

This is not a complete list. What documentation you need will depend on your circumstances.


If you have questions about applying for Medicaid, call the Advocacy Line at 702-691-5665.

If you live in Nevada

If you live in Arizona

If you don't qualify

If you don't qualify for Medicaid, you may be able to get healthcare at a Federally Qualified Health Center. Visit this page for more information about Federally Qualified Health Centers.

Community resources

If you need help paying for health care, caring for your child, putting food on the table, or have other problems, there is help.

Visit this web page for a list of government and private organizations ready to help you.